WTO is an international organization to handle world trade. Currently, there is a stall in the world trade due to the US-China war and move specifically of the withdrawal of developing nations tag from India and China by the USA. This is due to
The USA alleges
- India and China
- Misusing developing nation tag
- Themselves opaque about subsidy, government enterprise etc.
- Going against A.23 of Dispute Settlement Understanding of WTO (prohibition of the unilateral embargo)
- Relegating WTO’s position.
- Disrupting world order might give to rise to jungle rain in world trade order.
Tips for cracking Group Discussion: Don’t take anything personal. The other person may or may not agree with you, please don’t take it personally. Find our latest group discussion topics and related preparation material in mock gd course.
In order to evaluate the situation, one must analyze WTO’s utilities. They are:-
- Emerges helped in trade growth – stability – improving world economy after World War II.
- Caused Massive Structural Change.
E.g.: 1995 – 0.8% Internet Users
2019 – 57% Internet Users
- Promoted International Trade
E.g.: Single iPhone – 14 components
- 7/8 Multinational Company
- 40 countries
- Lowered Import tariff by 15%
- Implemented Free Trade Agreements.
- Functioned – Forum for dispute settlement
E.g.: Avoided Trade war worth $340 billion.
Tips for cracking Group Discussion: Don’t get angry when aroused by the other person. Maintain your cool. Find our latest group discussion topics and related preparation material in mock gd course.
Yet sure is some short timing in WTO’s functioning. They are:
- The multilateral process not fortified
- 164 members
- Rise of Regionalism
- Suffers from Evolutionary bias
Yes, I think WTO shall average as a lynchpin of global trade governance. The following steps shall assist this emergence.
- The assistance of the USA – through a reasonable later.
- Reasonable Multilateralism – Open discussion – hearing all members.
- Alternative entering into plurilateral agreements.
- Big players should share the burden rather than being altruistic.
The world order is a must for global peace and to tackle an omniscient recession crisis. Rise of WTO shall be an important defence in such a crisis