CAUSES OF DEPRIVING LIVERBILITY
- WEAK INSTITUTIONAL MECHANISM – 74th CAA called for Ward committees, District Planning Committee. Municipal planning Committee which has not been implementing Municipal Bodies doesn’t have FINANCIAL AUTONOMY.
- UNDEFINED BOUNDARIES – Ex. Delhi which as it grows even occupied Gurgaon and Noida.
- HERITAGE OF PAST CONSTRUCTION – Delhi is a medieval time city and all its streets, roads etc. are of the 17-18th century and not axe to 21st
- LACK OF INTEGRATED PLANNING – Land use should include
- Ecology and Environment needs
- Socio-Economic needs
- TOPOGRAPHICAL ISSUES – Hill cities, Coast cities, River cities, Disorder vulnerable cities need special attention.
PROBLEMS OF INDIAN CITIES
- Waste management
- Groundwater exploitation
- Water drainage problem
- The spurt of slums and landfills
STEPS BY GOVERNMENT –
- Smart Cities Mission
- Digital India
- Swachh Bharat
WAY FORWARD –
- MUNICIPAL GOVERNANCE – Empowered Mayors with long tenures and clear accountability for the city’s performance.
- INCLUSIVE CITIES – Unbanning planning should meet the needs of both rich and poor.
- INTEGRATION of Urban Planning of local, state and government schemes.
- URBAN FINANCIAL REFORMS – Reduce dependence on the state and central government for finance.
Ex. Municipal Bonds, Public – provoke partnership user Charges.
- AFFORDABLE HOUSING – Sustainable and Economically viable houses needed.
- WATER SUPPLY AND SEWAGE MANAGEMENT should be improved.
As said, ‘The RECOVERY of SPRAWL to VIBRANT PLACES is our Generations GREATEST CHALLENGE’
Effective urban planning and Management becomes the keyword in unattainable and inclusive growth and development.