Almost 92% of the Indian workforce is engaged in the informal sector of which almost 49% of all the women whole work s not being accounted for the GDP.
Status of Unorganized sector / unpaid sector:
- Scattered and fragmented workforces working individually, often loosely allocated in various occupations.
- Not cohesive with any recognized association or unions with define ideology.
Do you know UPSC notification for Civil Services Exams come in month of Februry each year. Check more details on UPSC notification here.
Women’s issues under the unorganized sector:
- Ignorance and surplus labour.
- High level of exploitation.
- Physical problems.
- Irregular wage payment.
- The non-lymphatic attitude of an employee.
- Illiteracy wage discrimination.
- Pool or low calling skills.
With formal recognition, the issues can be addressed leading to improvement on both social and economic front:
- Increase regulation:- work environment will focus on seriousness and acknowledgements.
- Acknowledgement of the unpaid boost GDP (40% of GDP is unpaid work that is not counted currently).
- The estimated increase of up to 27% in GDP.
- Bringing gaps on gender basis.
- Promoting equality.
- Rise on human development index ranking.
Status of women:
According to an ILO report, women represent:
- 50% of the population.
- 30% of the workforce.
- Perform 60% of all working hours.
- Receive 10% of the world’s income.
- Own less than 1% of the world’s property.
These figures call for the attention towards uplifting the women and realizing their potential by considering their contribution the global GDPs.
Do you know there is atleast 4 months difference in UPSC notification and UPSC CSE Prelims. Check more details on UPSC notification.
- The huge gap (40%) between the two genders needs to be addressed in terms of their contributions.
- The informal sector should be given recognition in terms of GDP.
- Sections under Equal renovation Act should be altered ensuring equality and inclusion, reducing discrimination.
- The work environment for both genders should be made adaptive and comfortable (Promoting sexual harassment Act).
Awareness to women regarding Institutional support, women grievance cells, job security should be ensured