Intro Afghan dialogue is the negotiations upon the peace process include a ceasefire, etc. between the national unity government of Afghanistan and the Taliban.
The reason for such a dialogue in recent times are-
- Taliban a terror outfit, still hold ½ of Afghan territory.
- The USA is planning to move its troop out.
- The decreased credibility of NUG.
Did you know Nabard is fully owned by Govt of India. Check out Nabard grade a recruitment process
Thus, a political vacuum is created in Afghanistan.
Global players are interested in Afghanistan because –
- USA: – It wants to maintain its presence in Asia and ensure no use of Afghanistan for anti-US activity.
- China: – Its BRI’s CPEC passes close to Afghanistan.
- Russia: – Afghanistan acts as a link for connecting it with the rest of Asia.
The states which effect India are —
- Investment in Afghanistan for infrastructure and capacity holding.
- Prevent the flow of ISIS from Afghanistan to India.
- Afghanistan is to bypass Pakistan for India’s connectivity with Iran and thus to Chahbahar Port.
- Pakistan supports the Taliban and may use it for anti-India purpose.
Here India is a key player in the Afghan peace process.
Effect of such a peace process and India’s role in it can be —
- Political stability in Afghanistan, which could improve connectivity projects being developed by India.
- India will have to approach both the NUG and the Taliban appropriately.
Do you know Nabard grade a recruitment happens once in a year. Know more details on Nabard grade a recruitment here.
Example: The informal representatives sent by India to Moscow to meet Taliban borders.
- Prudential diplomacy will be required as the USA on one side and China, Russia on another side, have diverging interests.
- India has a deep involvement with Afghanistan in a Strategic partnership in developing infrastructure – health, education, irrigation, agriculture, community development programs, etc.
- Thus, peace in Afghanistan becomes pivotal for determining the success of India’s efforts.
- India should antagonize the ‘Afghan-owned and Afghan-led the peace process by backing the democratize forces, ensuring credible elections and at the same negotiate parallelly with the Taliban.