The PC and PNDT Act, 1994 was enacted to address the declining sex rated in India. It had deteriorated to 927 is 1991. It learns the use of sex solution techniques before and after conceptions.
The Supreme Court has recently upheld the provisions in the act which criminal sex non-maintenance of medical records by obstetricians and gynecologists.
The silent objectives under the PCPNDT act are:-
- Regulates prorated diagnostic techniques like infrasound
- No test can be conducted for sex determination of fetus.
- If the procedure of sex determination undertaken under special cases, the practitioners cannot communicate sex of fetus pregnant women or relatives.
- Imprisonment for 3 years or fine of Rs. 10,000 for advertising sex determination.
- Compulsory registration of all diagnostic laboratories
Do you know: It was developed to cover all the inabilities of B language (simplified version of BCPL). So, it was just named C as it is next to B in the English alphabets. Find out the top c and c++ interview questions
As per the 2011 census, the sex ratio in India is 943 per 1000 males which were933 in 2001 census. There is an improvement in the sex rated but many challenges still remain.
- The discrepancy among states – Kerala has a set of 1084, while Haryana has 879.
- There have been only 586 convictions out of 4202 cases registered in 24 years.
- It suggests non-reporting of cases levity in prosecution.
- Such activities are a result of the orientation of the society which still considers the truth of sex as a blessing despite initiatives like ‘ Beti Bachao Beti Padhaa’, Sukanya Samrhi Yojana, etc.
Through there is only a slight improvement in the sex rated owning to the PCPNDT Act and initiatives of the government, a lot still needs to be done. The Supreme Court has again come forward to make.
- Non-maintenance of medical records as a criminal offence.
- Consequently suspending they’re medical became indefinitely.
This has been despite the objections of the medical fraternity which says that it will make them vulnerable to prosecutions.
However, considering the sensitivity of the issue and the huge responsibility, it demands it is necessary that such records are kept by every medical practitioner undertake such tests.
Along with it, other measures can be adoptedlike A) Models like Kanyashree, Shiksharee, Rupashree of West Bengal Government should be adopted by other states.
- Sex disaggregate collation is important
- The data will help in taking targeted actions in poor-performing regions.
- Making Video recording of the correspondence between the medical practitioners and the women or her family compulsory, to be accreted by a designated authority. It should not undetermined the right to privacy at the same time.
- Awareness among the people should be disseminated about the evils of sex determination.
Do you know: Compiler doesn’t know header file, preprocessor processes these and expands source code. Find out the top c and c++ interview questions
The PC and PNDT legislation has indeed proved to be effective in increasing India’s sex ratio to 943. This should be supplemented by social awareness, ethical education of doctors / medical practitioners, frequent auditing by third parties of the bevaratories, etc.