UGC NET is the national level exam conducted by NTA every year for the recruitment process of Lecturers/ Professors/ Research Associates/ Junior Research Fellow at prestigious Indian Colleges or Universities.
UGC NET Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
The Eligibility Criteria for any exam mainly depends on two factors, Education Qualification and Age Limit. Apart from that for a candidate to be eligible for a particular subject in UGC NET he/she must have completed their post-graduation in the same or related subject.
Read More: Eligibility criteria for UGC NET exam
For choosing computer science as a subject in UGC NET candidates should have completed masters from either of the following
- Master of technology (MTech Computer Science)
- Master of computer applications (MCA)
- Master of Science (Computer Science/ Information technology)
Candidates from different field who haven’t studied computer science as a subject in their masters cannot opt for this subject. Students having a Bachelor of technology degree(B.tech) in Computer Science/Information technology cannot opt for this exam since the highest level of degree required is master’s. Undergraduate students must complete their master’s first with the required percentage and then apply for UGC NET.
Diploma holders from computer technology, computer science also cannot apply for UGC NET since it is must for a candidate to complete master’s for this exam.
Career prospects after Qualifying UGC NET in computer Science
It is known that NTA UGC NET is an exam with various career prospects. One can get lifetime opportunities after clearing UGC NET Exam. With the advancement of technology in every field computer have become a sole operational source. Thus, the need of engineers, graduates, Ph.D. scholars and master’s in computer science candidates are in great demand. Apart from working as JRF or assistant professor several other options are available for computer science students.
Work in software companies: A NET Qualified candidate would have a better placement and career opportunities in software companies at various posts.
Project Manager in MNC’s: NET Qualified candidates would have better opportunities in MNC’s as project manager. Because of being qualified for the post of assistant professor/lectureship they are considered to be better project leaders.
Jobs in CSIR/DRDO: Candidates who have qualified NET-JRF can take admission into various government scientific research organizations for making a career in the field of research.
MNC’s: Various MNC’s are hiring JRF qualified candidates for research investigation in certain field.
Work in PSU’s: Public Sector undertakings had recently opened their gates for NET Qualified candidates. Computer science students can go for post of executive in the Research and Development (R&D) Sector of the same.
Authorship and Guide: Candidates can always become an author in the field of their specialization. They can also join private coaching centers and guide NET aspirants for computer science.
UGC NET Computer Science Syllabus and Updated Paper Pattern
To start the journey of UGC NET Exam, one must have adequate knowledge about the UGC NET Syllabus for Computer Science & Application so that you can make smart study plan.
Topics Covered in Computer science with Weightage over the past few years
|Discrete Structures||Sets, relations, Probability theory, Graph theory, Group theory||Discrete Mathematics by Lipschutz Seymour|
|Microprocessor||Combinational circuit design, Microprocessor architecture (8085)||Microprocessor Architecture, Programming and Applications with the 8085 – Ramesh S. Gaonkar|
|Digital logic||Propositional logic, Logic families, Representations of Integers||Digital Logic and Computer Design – M. Morris Mano|
|Database management System||Database concepts, Design of relational database, Database Security, object-oriented database management, relational database Design and SQL||Fundamentals of Database Systems – Elmasari, Navathe|
|Theory of computation||Computability models, Finite automata, Grammars, Languages, Turing machine.||Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation by John E. Hopcroft and Ullman|
|Compiler Design||Loading, linking, Compilation and interpretation, Top down parsers||Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools – Aho, Lam, Sethi and Ullman|
|Data Structure||Data Structure and file structure, Linear Programming||Data structure – Seymour Lipschutz|
|Design and analysis of Algorithms (DAA)||Dynamic programming, Sorting techniques, NP-hard & NP-complete problems, Greedy approach||Introduction to Algorithms – Author Thomas H. Cormen|
|Programming language||Programming in C and C++, Object oriented programming concepts, HTML, XML, JAVA.||Let us C, OOPS using C++ – E. Balagurusamy|
|Artificial Intelligence||AI Approach towards problem solving, Knowledge representation, Systems approach to planning||Artificial Intelligence – Elaine Rich and Kevin Knight|
|Computer Graphics||Image processing, Data compression techniques,||Introduction to Computer Graphics -Hearn and Baker|
|Computer Network||Network fundamentals, Data communication, Internetworking, Routing, Network Security||Data communications and networking / Behrouz A. Forouzan|
|Operating System||Unix System, Memory management, Scheduling, Main functions of operating System, Distributed OS,||Operating System Concepts – Galvin and Silberschatz|
|Unix-Concepts and Applications -M. J. Back, S. Das|
|Software Engineering||System development life cycle, Software Metrics, Software Design, Coding and testing, software maintenance and concepts.||Software Engineering A Practitioner’s Approach – Roger S. Pressman|
|Data mining||Neural network, Fuzzy systems, Data warehousing||Data Mining Concepts and techniques by Jiawei Han|
Do you know concept of probability and permutation and combination are used in most of interview puzzles. Check puzzle questions with answers for interview in our course.
Preparation tips for UGC NET Computer Science & Application
As UGC NET Exam is led for the choice of the splendid possibility for JRF and Assistant Professor, it needs extraordinary devotion with the ideal blend of diligent work and fixation. On the off chance that you truly need to break the Exam, begin getting ready for it as quickly as time permits.
- Analyze syllabus and paper pattern: The first and most important step while preparing for any exam is analyzing paper pattern. Download previous year question papers and analyze that which topic has maximum number of questions, which has the least. We have already provided topic analyses of previous few years.
- Now coming on to books: As we know that one books isn’t sufficient for UGC NET and you need to study all of the books that you studied during your masters. The syllabus of computer science is very wide (approx. 24 subjects), so in order to study from so many books meticulous reading is must.
- Important topics and analysis of UGC NET 2018 Computer Science paper and expected pattern of the next paper. Below we are describing the paper pattern, weightage of each topic and important topics from each section. This was the paper pattern of July 2018 and the same pattern is expected in December 2018 with slight variation to questioning strategy.
- Now according to the latest pattern change 60-70% of the questions in the paper were from the core subjects in computer science. Database management system (DBMS) carried a total of 10 questions with most of the questions from ER Modelling, normalization, transaction etc. These topics have been frequently asked over the previous years and the same is expected for the next paper.
- DAA & DS: Another Core and important topic, again 10 questions were from these 2 topics including sorting techniques, dynamic programming. Important topics also include time complexity and master’s theorem.
- Software Engineering: This section also comprises 10 questions. Important topics include coding and testing, development process, etc.
- Operating System: Basic questions were asked from this section on topics such as process scheduling, synchronization, deadlock, memory. In total 10 questions were framed in 2018.
- Computer Network: Being a core subject this part also had 10 questions. Important topics are routing, IP addressing, protocols.
- TOC: Computation and automata together comprised of 10 questions in the paper of 2018. Important topics are Regular grammar, Context sensitive grammar, Automata.
Other important topics from various subjects are Number system, logic families & gates, memory mapping, cache memory, fuzzy sets, artificial intelligence, machine learning etc. which cover up the remaining 40% of the paper.
Now according to latest change in exam handling body it is expected that questions of the next paper will have a scientific approach.AI is an emerging topic it should be studied properly. Paper pattern of December 2018 is expected to be as the same as above. To score maximum marks one must carefully and thoroughly prepare the core subjects.
- Make sure to make your own notes during study so that it gets easier to revise.
- The next step is to start solving previous year paper. Go in depth of each question and study about the related stuff from each question.
- After Question paper sessions, move forward to revision. For this candidate can go with UGC NET guide books, the questions given at the back of these books are also an important source of preparation (Don’t miss them!).
- Once you are done with guides, revise from your own notes and then jump to test series and mock tests.
- Analyze your weak points and work on them. Take as many tests as you can.
Recommended Books for UGC NET Computer Science
- UGC Computer Science and Application Paperback – 1 Jan 2016 by Sanjay Singhal (Author), Sameer Mishra (Author)
- UGC NET Computer Science & Applications (Paper II & III) JRF and Assistant Professor Exam Guide (CBSE UGC (NET) JRF & Asst. Professor Exam) Paperback – 2015
- UGC-NET: Computer Sciences & Applications Previous Years Papers (Solved) Paperback by RPH Editorial Board (Author)
It is fairly advised to UGC aspirants that they enroll themselves in coaching institutions for UGC NET. Reading from so many different books is a tough task and still some of the topics are missed. Online coaching institutes provides compiled notes of all the important topics along with analyzed important topics.
For details regarding this exam write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.