How to prepare for UGC NET paper 1
Paper 1 of the UGC NET Exam is organized in order to test a candidate’s teaching aptitude, analytical and logical reasoning along with various other important factors required in the professions of lectureship. Doing good in paper 1 is not only limited to clearing cut off marks but can also give you advantage over other candidates by maximizing your overall score.
Do you know AI is a technique used to mimic human behaviour, while machine learning is to process and analyze data.Learn more fact on ai machine learning here.
See also: Complete information of UGC NET exam
Paper pattern of UGC NET paper 1
- The paper will be online in CBT mode.
- This paper contains 50 questions from about 10 different topics. Each topic questions have equal number of weightages i.e. 5 questions from a single topic.
- A total of 60 minutes is allotted for this paper.
- There is no negative marking.
- Each question carries equal marks (+2).
- The questions will be objective in nature having multiple choice answers.
Syllabus of UGC NET Paper 1
|Teaching Aptitude||Teaching: Nature, Objective, Characteristics and basic requirements.
Factors affecting teaching
Methods of teaching
|Research Aptitude||Research: Meaning, characteristic and types
Steps of research
Methods of research
Paper, article, workshop, Seminar, conference and symposium
Thesis writing, its characteristics and format.
|Reading Comprehension||A passage to be set with questions to be answered.|
|Communication||Communication: Nature, Characteristics, types, barriers and effective classroom communication.|
|Logical Reasoning||Understanding the structure of arguments
Evaluating and distinguishing deductive and inductive reasoning
Verbal analogies: Word Analogy-Applied analogy
Reasoning Logical Diagrams: Simple Diagrammatic relationship, Multi diagrammatic relationship
Venn diagram, Analytical reasoning.
|Data Interpretation||Sources, acquisition and interpretation of data
Quantitative and qualitative data
Graphical representation and mapping of data
|Information and communication Technology (ICT)||ICT: Meaning, advantages, disadvantages and uses
General abbreviations and terminology
Basics of internet and e-mailing
|People and Environment||People and environment interaction
Sources of pollution
Pollutants and their impact on human life, exploitation of natural energy resources
Natural hazards and mitigation
|Higher Education system||Structure of institutions, Formal and distance education, professional/technical and general education
Governance, polity and administration
Concept, institutions and their interactions
Best books to for UGC NET Exam paper 1
Some of the most popular and recommended books by UGC NET aspirants are:
- Trueman’s UGC NET/SET General paper-1: This book is one of the most popular books among the students preparing for UGC NET. It covers the entire syllabus of the NET exam paper 1 effectively. An important factor that makes this book worth purchasing is the exercises and practice questions given at the back of each chapter.
- NTA UGC NET/SET: Teaching and research aptitude by KVS Madaan
- UGC NET/JRF/SLET General Paper-1 Teaching & Research Aptitude by Arihant
Preparation strategy for beginner of UGC NET
Start off with books and study materials. You can go through the above suggested books for paper 1. Read one book thoroughly and mark important points. Solve the questions and exercises given at the end of each chapter. In addition to reading books get your hands on some online study material for UGC NET. Online study materials are extensive compilation of the best notes and books. Each topic is maintained in such a way that it covers all the aspects of a topic. Moreover, these online study materials are helpful for paper 2 as well.
- It is advised to study teaching and research part in depth as these two topics are tougher than the rest. A student can start off by buying a separate book teaching and research from among the one’s mentioned above. Teaching aptitude is mostly theoretical therefore it is wise to read through ready made notes.
- Solve as many questions as you can from research topics including types of research as exploratory, fundamental, historical and experimental research.
- A candidate may revise basic mathematical concepts asked in the paper from class X books. For Reasoning, logical reasoning and data interpretation Quantitative aptitude by R.S. Aggarwal is recommended.
- Maintain Flash cards of abbreviations and terminology for Information and communicating technology.
- Pay close attention to basic communication framework and organizational communications by following the prescribed books.
- Practice Comprehension techniques by solving questions from various bank PO examinations.
- Topics under people and environment should be read from class X NECRT books.
- Higher Education System: For this topic, follow government related schemes, Latest changes in administration and governance of higher education in India.
Solve Sample papers: Once you are done with the reading part, to make your preparation more intact solving sample paper’s is must. Go ahead and solve at least 50 sample papers and about 15 previous year question papers. The key to perform good in such tests is more and more practice.
Take mock tests: After solving and practicing questions it’s time to check your preparation level. For this a candidate need to take mock tests. Students can register online on UGC website and take mock tests held by UGC. If you have enrolled in any online course or package make sure to their mocks too and work on your weak topics by analyzing the results.
Do you know AI contains machine learning and Deep Learning as subsets. Deep learning covers deep processing involving neural networls. See our ai machine learning course.
Preparation tips for UGC NET exam
- Make a Study Schedule: For full utility of time and proper management making a schedule is a necessity. Candidates preparing for any competitive exam must follow a proper study schedule. With the one-third weightage of paper 1 you need to score good in this paper as well. Make a separate schedule for paper 1 preparation.
- Do not ignore any topic: To score maximum marks it is strictly advised for a candidate to read all the topics properly as there will be at least 5 questions from each topic. It is mostly noticed that students with arts background ignore ICT topics. Such doings should be ignored and a candidate should study every topic thoroughly.
- Do not just stick to books: Well, you can’t learn everything from books, in order to be gain an edge from other competitors a candidate should keep an eye on current affairs and recent changes in policy of higher education system.
- Make regular notes: Making your own notes will help a candidate in revising the previously studied content. Jot down the tough topics and topics that you need to work hard. By keeping a note of these things, you can work on your weak topics and improve them accordingly. Furthermore, keeping notes makes it easier to revise at last minute or the day before exam.
- Practice and revise regularly: After completing each topic candidates are advised to solve problems of the same. Work out on as many problems as you can for maximum benefit. Go through some tougher exercises and problems to learn about tricks and tips. Routine revision of mathematical concepts is important including, formulas, charts, units, etc. Focus on tricks of solving problems faster and easier.
During the exam the candidates should attempt all the questions as there is no negative marking. For any queries regarding UGC NET exam preparation please write us at email@example.com .