UGC NET Exam
University Grants Commission National eligibility test (UGC NET) is taken by candidates aspiring for a career in lectureship as Assistant Professor or as Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and assistant professor both. Until now this exam had been conducted by CBSE on behalf of UGC but with the formation of National Testing Agency (NTA) this exam will be conducted by this newly formed agency. From December 2018 NTA will be conducting the exam and few changes in the examination procedure will be commenced.
Official Website: https://www.nta.ac.in/
Registration Mode: Online
Examination Mode: Online CBT (Computer based Test)
CHANGES MADE BY NTA IN UGC NET EXAM
- Mode of Examination: Till now the paper was conducted in offline mode and candidates were required to fill in their answers onto the OMR Sheets provided to them however with recent changes UGC NET Exam will be now on conducted online CBT mode (Computer Based Test).
- Category of Candidates: From December 2018 a new category i.e. Transgender has been introduced. Candidates belonging to this category will be provided with the same benefits in terms of eligibility criteria, age limit, examination fees as given to candidates belonging to OBC-NCL/SC/ST/PwD.
- Age limit for JRF Candidates has been raised from 28 years to 30 years as on December 1,2018.
- Exam Pattern: When CBSE conducted this exam, the candidates had to attempt 175 questions in total in three different papers. NTA will be conducting this exam with a total of 150 questions in 2 different papers.
- Examination Fees: NTA had reduced UGC NET application fees as follows:
|Category||Previous Fees||New Fees|
Along with these several other changes regarding exam schedule and document specification had been made.
UGC NET ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Are You Eligible for this exam? Before applying for UGC NET you need to look out at certain eligibility criteria.
- Those candidates applying for Junior research fellowship in 2019 should not be more than 30 years as of January 1, 2019.
- There is no such upper age limit for assistant professors.
- For candidates holding a PhD or equivalent research in any field are subjected to age relaxation of 5 years.
- OBC/SC/ST/PWD and Female candidates are also provided with age relaxation of 5 years.
- Applicants holding an LLM Degree are given 3 years of age relaxation.
- Candidates must hold a masters or equivalent degree with aggregate 55% marks.
- For OBC/SC/ST/PWD candidates aggregate marks required to be eligible is 50%.
- PHD degree holders are also given a 5% relaxation on average marks making it 50%.
- Candidates who are in their final year of master’s program are also eligible. However, such candidates will only be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for this post only after they have passed their masters degree with the required percentage.
UGC NET EXAM PATTERN
According to latest changes made by NTA in UGC NET examination pattern this exam will consist of 2 papers. Both the papers will hold only objective type questions.
This questions in this paper are in order to test a candidate’s reasoning ability, comprehension reading, general awareness, etc. According to NTA the questions in this paper will be of general nature, intended to assess the teaching/research ability of the candidate.
- Paper 1 will consist of 50 compulsory questions.
- The questions will be of objective type.
- There will be no negative marking for this paper and a credit of 2 marks will be awarded for each correct answer.
- Duration of this paper will be 1 hour i.e. 60 minutes.
- Examination mode will be online.
This paper is to test a candidate’s knowledge of his/her own selected subject. The questions included in this paper will cover the entire syllabus of paper 2 and paper 3 (Earlier this exam consisted of 3 papers).
- There will be 100 compulsory questions in this paper.
- All questions will be of objective type.
- No negative marking.
- Duration of paper will be 2 hours i.e. 120 minutes.
|Paper||DURATION||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS||TYPE||MARKING SCHEME||MODE OF EXAM|
|PAPER 1||60 MINUTES||50||Objective||+2 OR 0||CBT|
|PAPER 2||120 MINUTES||100||Objective||+2 OR 0||CBT|
RULES FOR DIFFERENTLY ABLED CANDIDATES:
- 30 minutes compensatory time will be provided separately for both paper 1 and paper 2.
- Aspirants with disability more than 40% are provided with a scribe who are graduate in a subject other than that of the candidate.
- UGC will provide test booklets of paper 1 and paper 2 in braille along with usual booklets to other candidates.
Note: Those candidates who are not in a position to write in their own handwriting can also avail the services of a scribe faulty by making a week prior request in writing to the coordinator of the NET.
CUTOFF PERCENTAGE AND SELECTION PROCEDURE FOR UGC NET EXAM
- Only 6% of the total number of candidates from the merit list who have taken both the papers are eligible for the post of assistant professor.
- Furthermore, the total slots shall be allocated according to the reservation policy of the government of India.
- General category candidates need to have an overall score (Paper 1+ paper 2) of at least 40%.
- Candidates belonging to reserved categories (SC/ST/PWD/OBC-NCL (Non-Creamy Layer)) and transgenders need to score at least 35 % aggregate marks in order to be eligible for the post of Junior research fellowship (JRF) and assistant professor and assistant professor only.
|Category||Minimum Marks required|
|Paper 1||Paper 2|
|General(unreserved)||40% or 40 Marks||40% or 80 Marks|
|SC/ST/PwD/OBC(NCL)||35% or 35 Marks||35% or 70 Marks|
The results of UGC NET Exam are to be uploaded on the official website www.nta.ac.in / www.ntanet.nic.in .
UGC NET EXAM SYLLABUS
Until now UGC NET exam was conducted by CBSE in 84 subjects at 91 cities across India. The exam will be conducted by NTA since December 2018 and several changes have been made however NTA has already notified that no changes had been made in the syllabus of the UGC NET Exam. There are now more than 90 subjects to choose from.
You can download full syllabus for Paper 1 as well as for Paper 2 (Subject specified) by visiting UGC Official Website.
Hope this article would be helpful for all the UGC NET Aspiring candidates. Good luck to all.