Last Updated on
Action plans for the first ranked list of 115 backward districts.
- For most 115 most backward district (Out of these, 35 districts are affected by Left Wing Extremism)
- Bridge Intra-regional and Inter-regional Divide – Senior level government officers have been nominated as Prabhari officers to act as a bridge between the Centre and States in addressing the specific developmental needs of the districts
- Structural change – Enabling technology driven schemes in districts where digital literacy is negligible
- New India – Development of these backward districts is essential in order to achieve the vision of New India by 2022.
- Failure of Older Schemes – An older scheme, Backward Region Grant Fund (BRGF) launched in 2007 was delinked from central support in 2015 as it failed to meet its vision. It consisted of 272 districts
- A planning commission study of BGRF (2007-2011) showed that none of the states was able to get more than 80 percent of the allocation released. Also, only a third of the allocated money was utilised.
Do you know Python is the de facto language for data scientists, statisticians, machine learning experts, and web enthusiasts. Get python online coaching and learning material.
How Backward Districts identified?
- Done by the NITI Aayog with respect to four main parameters
1) poverty 2) education 3) healthcare and 4) infrastructure,
- At least one most backward district from each state has been selected in order to extend the reach of the programme in different parts of the country.