The agriculture sector is engaging almost 51% population directly or indirectly and contributing only 17% of GD. However over a certain period of time agriculture production is on the rise after the implementation of Government Schemes such as PM-Fasal Beema Yojana, Krishi Sichai yojana, PM-Krishan yojana, Kisan Credit Card Yojana etc.
- Small landholding.
- Non-institutional credit
- Debt trap.
- Lack of irrigation facilities.
- Crop failure.
- MSP on limited crops.
- Procurement at a very low price.
- Supply chain inefficiency
- infrastructure lacking,
- Lack of warehouse.
Check out previous year WIPRO placement papers. Now solve wipro placement papers by practicing from our online aptitude course for placement
Despite the increment in productivity of farms. The agrarian distress is very served. It may be attributed due to –
- Small land holding – a large portion of the population is having land below 2 hectares.
- marginal, small, women farmers, tenant farmers, agricultural labours are excluded under most of government Scheme, for example; PM KTSAN Scheme
- for farmers having land below 2 hectares.
- The high cost of agricultural input;
- irrigation cost
- high-cost seeds
- Natural calamities \ Disasters: – One of the major reason for farmers suicide forex.–Drought in Maharashtra.
- Non Institutional credit:- Farmers kept under money lenders grip of high-interest rates;
- debt trap
For example- According to NSSO more than 50% small agricultural households are under indebtedness.
- Procurement of crop at MSP price is very low;
- Only limited crop are included.
- Lack of technology – traditional equipment’s.
- Lack of agricultural education –
- High use of fertilizers.
- unaware of the supply chain.
- Lack of infrastructure for storage of farm production.
- Guarantee access to farmers to institutional credit system at low-interest rates.
- Agriculture land should be consolidated.
- Research and development on agriculture as per India’s requirement.
- Digitalization of the market. For example ENAM.
- More crops should include under MSP.
- Will lead to crop diversification.
- Farmer’s distress relief commission should be established.
Hence, a multi-pronged strategy is the need of the hour to tackle severe agrarian distress and making the dream of farmer’s income double upto 2020 come true.