India is largest importer of defense related equipment’s. Country like USA, Russia, Israel are main supplier of defense equipment for India. India spending I.P % of GDP ondefense equipment’s and 70% of them are imports. It shows that India’shighest level potential to create defense ecosystem.
How to achieve indigenization of defense technology :
- Government investment in upgradation of its organization like DRDO and HAL.
- Technology transfer deals could help to bring new technologies like Brahmas Missile.
- Make 11 mode of private sector investment could help to standarise management and procedure of defense manufacturing sector.
- Defense procurement policy focused on the indigenously designed and developed mechanism (DDDM)would encourage private sector to setup labs for research.
- Off set partnership could help to prevent crowding out of capital and tend to invest in Indian Industrial firm.
Challenges in indigenization of defense technology :
- Many nations like liturgics for technology transfer in case of leased Akula class submarine.
- Raffle controversy recluse credibility of government indefense deals.
- Lower involvement of DRDO and HAL in defense manufacturing reducing capacity and capabilityof government ordinance factories.
- Lower quality of skilled workers creates the obstacle in indigenization of defense technology.
- Developed nations are manipulating India due to their vested interest as: CAATSA of USA.
Way forwarded :
- Need to setup institute which is dedicated towards the defense technology.
- Increase the capacity of government organization like HAL .
- Foreign companies investment in defense technology should be incentivize with condition of technology transfer
By the indigenization of defense technology . India not only became self sufficient but also became net supplier of defense equipment in South Asia.