If you have a post graduation degree in commerce and want to pursue career in the field of teaching/lectureship or research then you must take UGC NET Exam. NTA’s UGC NET Exam is conducted twice a year each year for all those aspiring for the post of Assistant professor or JRF or both Assistant professor and JRF (Junior Research Fellow).
UGC NET Commerce preparation tips
Usually candidates choose the same subject for this exam from which they have completed their post-graduation. To be eligible for UGC NET Commerce exam a candidate should have completed their masters in commerce, Finance, Business Services, Accountancy, Economics or any other related subject.
Syllabus for UGC NET Commerce
|Business Environment||Meaning and elements of business environment
Economic environment, Economic Policies, Economic Planning.
Legal Environment of Business in India, Competition policy, Consumer protection, Environment protection.
|Financial & Management Accounting||Basic accounting concepts, Capital and revenue, Financial statements
Partnership accounts: Admission, Retirement, Death, Dissolution and cash Distribution.
Advanced Company Accounts: Issue, forfeiture, purchase of business.
Cost and management accounting
|Business Economics||Nature and uses of business economics, concept of profit and wealth maximization.
Demand analysis and elasticity of Demand, Indifference Curve analysis, Law
|Business Statistics & Data processing||Data types, Data collection and analysis, sampling, need, errors and methods of sampling, Normal distribution, Hypothesis testing, Analysis and Interpretation of Data.
Correlation and Regression, Data processing, computer application to functional areas.
|Business Management||Principles of management, Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Leading, Controlling, Corporate governance and business ethics.|
|Marketing management||Evolution of marketing, Concepts & Environment
Consumer behavior, Product, distribution, promotion & pricing decisions.
|Financial management||Capital structure, Financial and operating leverage.
Cost of capital, budgeting
Working capital management
|Human Resources Management||Concepts, Role and Functions
Planning, Recruitment and Selection
Training and development, Compensation
Industrial relations in India, Health, Safety and Social security.
|International Business||Balance of payments, International liquidity, IMF, World Bank, IFC, IDA, ADB
World trade organizations
Structure of India’s foreign trade
|Income-tax law and Tax planning||Basic concepts Residential status and tax incidence, exempted incomes.
Computation f taxable income of individuals
Deduction of tax, filling of returns
Tax considerations, computer application in income tax and planning.
BEST Books for UGC NET Commerce
Paper 2 of UGC NET checks a candidate’s knowledge in a particular subject, Preferably the subject chosen by them in their post-graduation. To be able to clear off this paper with good marks a candidate needs to have sole knowledge of the chosen subject. You can’t expect to pass this paper by reading just a single paper. In order to score decent marks, you need to do selective study from all the text books that you read in your post-graduation. Important books for commerce paper of UGC NET are
Human Resource Management – ASWATHAPPA, K.
Financial Management – I. M. PANDEY
Marketing Management- PHILIP KOTLER
Business Economics- H L Ahuja
Business Environment-B. N Ghosh
Managerial Accounting- Hilton & Platt
Cost Accounting- M N Arora
International Business- P subba Rao
Financial Markets & Institutions -F. S. Mishkin & S. Eakins
The Financial System in India-S.C. Das
Studying so many books is not an easy task and requires a lot of effort, time and patience. If you don’t have enough time left for the exam then studying by so many books is not feasible. It’s wise to plan your study according to the amount of time have. For students with lesser time or who don’t want to go through topics from different books can go through the below prescribed books for UGC NET exam 2018 preparation
UGC-NET/JRF/SLET Commerce (Paper – II) by Dr. L. N. Kohli
UGC-NET/SET Commerce Guide (Paper II & III) by R. Gupta’s
Trueman’s UGC NET Commerce by Dr. Parveen Kataria, Anshu Kataria, Shivani
These 3 books are the most popular books for UGC NET Commerce. It is advised to practice these books and questions given in them about 2 months before the exam. These books will serve the purpose of guide books and ultimately you will know how much you need to study from each topic. Practice makes a man perfect and in order to be familiar with the paper pattern solving previous year question papers is must.
CBSE-UGC-NET: Commerce Previous Papers (Solved)
If you want to have a decent score in this paper then it is highly advised to go through the books that you studied during your post-graduation along with 2 of the mentioned guides.
Alternatively, a candidate may opt for online courses for UGC NET Exam and get their study material and notes. This reduces the task of buying books in bulk. Online courses will provide you compiled notes for each topic from different books.
Career Scope after clearing UGC NET Commerce
After clearing UGC NET a candidate may have a lot of career options. UGC NET Exam is conducted to select candidates for the post of Assistant professor/JRF or both assistant professor and JRF. However, the post of a candidate depends on the merit marks scored in both the papers of UGC NET.
- Public Sector Undertakings (PSU’s): A candidate may take up the post of executives in management, communication, Human resources in various government Indian PSU’s. Candidates having a commerce background can go for jobs such as management trainee, HR (Human resources) executive, Executive in communication & accounting department of PSU’s.
- Become a Writer, Author: NET Qualified candidates can also become a writer in their field of study.
- Guide Students for NET Exam: A UGC NET Qualified person can work in any pre-established coaching institute and guide students for this exam. They can also set up their own academy and work in this field.
- Working in MNC’s: Being in the field of commerce gives and edge to students for working in MNC’s as consultants. You can find relevant jobs in your specialized field. Candidates can work as a financial analyst, corporate analyst, business consultant to get a higher profit for the organization.
- Work as lecturer: Along with government institutions/colleges one can find jobs in private colleges/universities. Various colleges where a candidate may apply include Shri Ram College of Commerce, Lovely professional University, University of Delhi, Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, Christ University, IIM’s, Hindu College (Delhi), Hansraj College (Delhi), Loyola College, etc.
- Go for Research and Ph. Programs: On qualifying JRF one can easily seek research projects and Ph.D. programs in various Indian Institutions.
- UGC NET job portal: One can find relevant government jobs and employers on the UGC NET job portal. Candidates may login and fill up their details and employers can view the profiles of job seeking candidates.
- Jobs in banking Sector: Candidates can also work at State Bank of India (SBI), Punjab National Bank (PNB), Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, Union Bank of India etc. as Customer Relationship Executive & Probationary Officer.
- Other options include Personal finance consultant, Operations manager, Accounting assistant.
Preparation Strategy for UGC NET Commerce
- The first step for any exam preparation strategy should be knowing the paper pattern and exam syllabus. Go through the detailed syllabus from the official UGC website.
- Start your preparation by going through commerce books that you studied during your post-graduation years. Go through the topics mentioned in the syllabus from these books. You may take references from the books given above.
- After studying all the previous books again, one need to do study according to the question paper pattern. Candidates should follow UGC NET by L.N. Kohli and Commerce guide by R. Gupta.
- These should be followed by studying past few years solved question papers.
- Once you have done all the studying part jump to solving questions. Solve model question papers and take mock tests from various online/ offline resources.
Most Important topics in UGC NET Commerce and strategy:
- Business Environment: With the analysis of questions from past few years the level of question from this topic could be expected to be higher in December 2018. Most of the questions are put up from Competition policy (Merger and acquisitions), Consumer protection, LPG policy should be studied in detail (1991 and current plans).
Focus on reading policy with their Acts. Industrial policy-IDRA, FERA, FEMA, MRTP, Competition policy.
Read meaning and levels in detail as tricky questions are framed from this section.
- Financial and management accounting: Generally basic questions are asked from this section. Clear your concepts from class 12th
Important topics include Prudence concept, valuation and amalgamation, absorption could be read from CA inter books for better understanding.
- Business Economics: Very conceptual questions are asked from this unit. Solve numerical from Oligopoly, monopoly markets as 1-2 questions are framed each year.
- Business statistics & Data processing: Majority of the questions asked from this unit are from Data types, data collection, Sampling methods, Normal distribution, Hypothesis testing, Data interpretation, Correlation and regression, chi square test. Every year questions are framed from hypothesis and correlation/regression so it is advised to cover it properly.
- Business management: More focus is needed on technical terms and theory of planning, staffing. The most important topics are motivation theories, leadership theories & models. Every year 2-4 questions are fixed from these topics.
- Marketing management: Read in detail as it covers more than 5-6 questions. Detailed analysis on concepts of marketing & planning is needed.
- Financial management: 6-7 questions are fixed from this unit. Important topics to cover are leverage, capital structure theories (every year question is asked), Capital budgeting and cost of capital.
The questions asked are not so tricky so it’s easier to score if concepts are clear.
- Human resource management: Around 8-10 questions are framed from this section so a detailed study of all the topics are necessary.
- Banking and financial institutions: Read about schemes and dates of various banking institutions such as RBI, NABARD. Candidates should also read about Capital adequacy norms, NPA, IDBI, IFCI, SFC’s, UIT, SIDBI.
- International business: Mostly similar questions are framed from this unit. Maximum questions are from IMF, BOP, World Bank and its subsidiaries, WTO.
- Finance: The toughest 3-4 questions are framed from this unit. Important topics include rating agency, crises, mutual funds, leasing. Detailed study of Derivatives is necessary. Candidates can go through CA module for better understanding of the unit.
- Income tax: This is a vast topic but generally questions are framed from basic concepts. Don’t read the whole syllabus instead focus on parts from where previous questions had been framed such as residential status, exempted incomes and deductions (80 C to 80 U), tax filling dates, tax planning.
It’s always a better idea to go for online coaching and study material. By doing so a candidate may save enormous amount of time. One can get pre-compiled notes, sectional tests, exercises and mock tests at the same platform. Discussion forums and guides are just a plus point of getting an online course for these exams.
Who can apply for UGC NET Commerce?
For a candidate to be eligible for the commerce he/she must be from the same background. Candidates having a master’s degree in commerce can apply for UGC NET commerce. MBA graduates can also apply for UGC NET commerce. Candidates having a master’s degree in business (MBS), master’s degree in Economics, master’s degree in management can also apply for this subject.
For any details regarding UGC NET commerce paper and course material write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org .