In the current times, the concept of US being the superpower after the disintegration of Soviet Union in 1991 doesn’t hold true. With emerging economies in the Indo- Pacific, it has becoming multi-polar world. As around 60% the trade happens in this region, there is tremendous opportunity for investment & development in the region. However, with the changing geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific and China trying to emerge as a superpower, the relationship between the states in the region has also become complex.
- Emergence as superpower
- Belt & road initiative
- Claims of the South China sea that go against international mandates.
- Aggressive policies that are hunting the economies of other nation leaving them bank corrupt
- Sino-Russia bond by providing psychological support to China.
- Deepening ties with victim Indonesia & other Indo- Pacific states.
- All weather friend of India
- Growing China, might hurt the markets of Russia.
- Worried of emergence of China & its growing relations with Pakistan.
- Belt & Road initiative hurts sovereignty of India.
- String of pearl policy of China issue.
- Russia defense partnership.
Japan & Australia:
- Trade relations are being hampered.
- Dominant China causing geopolitics intervention.
- Vacuum of power
- Trying to deeper bond with Indo-Pacific states to prevent emergence.
Every state is trying to serve their own interest awaits the raising China. The rising dominance of China in the Indo-Pacific:
- Hambantota post in Sri Lanka
- Debt traps in countries accepting the belt & road initiatives to receive silk route.
- Disputes in the South China sea
- Manufacturing hub– rise in exports.
- Captured marketing around the world.
There is an urgent need to prevent the concentration of power in the hands of one state.
- To look into the South China sea issue, UNCLOS laws should be rigorously implemented BRI around be received such that it doesn’t hurt sovereignty of any country & not leave then in a debt trap.
- QUAD (US-Japan- Australia-India) dialogue must be revived.
- India has a coastal boundary of 7500 km & has an extremely important role to play as an emerging economy. It can prevent the unitarist of power by acting as a bridge between Russia & US & increase ties between them.
- Russia’s recent step for development in the Far East strengthen its place in the Indo-Pacific.
- US: Pivot to Asia-increases role of US in development in the region.
- India: Act East policy; thereby proving India is the favor of open& inclusive security& order building ideas with all states.
In such a way, rising dominance of China can be controlled and a multi-lateral world power can be promoted with coordinated policies between nations. Bilateral tasks & groups like ASEAN play a significant role to the overall development of Indo-Pacific which has the ability to serve in the interest of all the states thus promoting multi-lateral power.