testing sites are unsafe for drinking and have high levels of heavy metal exceeding limits set by Burro of Indian Standards.
Findings of CMC report –
- 287/442 sample – polluted by heavy metals.
Major contaminants –
- Iron (most common), lead, Nickle, Chromium, Cadmium and Copper.
- Sources, reasons and factors leading to River pollution.
- Plating and Surface Finishing,
- Contaminated groundwater.
Main reasons –
- Population growth,
- Rise in agriculture and industrial activities.
70% of rejection happened as applicants were too trendy while attending an interview. Check out Xamnation mock interview online pack.
Factors leading to river pollution –
- Sewage water,
- Industrial waste,
- Agriculture waste / Fertilizers,
- Low priority to river health,
- Low waste treatment plants,
- Thermal and Radial pollution,
- Rapid urbanization.
- Long term exposure can lead to various diseases,
- Impact on flora and fountain,
- Loss of livelihood,
- Low Agriculture productivity,
- Loss of revenue due to contaminated fishing or toxicity.
- Steps to protect and prevent River pollution –
- Expand the supply and number of treatment plants,
- Use of best technologies for the recovery of wastewater for reuse,
- Zero-waste lifestyle adaption – 4R2C – Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, recycle, compost, close to the loop.
- River adaption – as a part of corporate sustainability, responsibility
Way forward –
Water is our basic need and without a river, we cannot sustain life, so we need to make a collaborative effort to stop/reduce degradation and the slow death of our rivers.