General Aptitude Paper
All the papers will have a few questions that test the General Aptitude (Language and Analytical Skills), apart from the core subject of the paper. These are common to all the subjects.
- English grammar
- Sentence completion
- Verbal analogies
- Word groups
- Critical reasoning
- Verbal deduction
- Numerical computation
- Numerical estimation
- Numerical reasoning
- Data interpretation.
The general aptitude paper is a common paper of gate syllabus irrespective of which branch the candidate chooses to attempt his exam paper in. The general aptitude paper will carry questions on english, aptitude, numerical reasoning type questions.
Number of Questions asked in the paper: 10 Total marks: 15.
English aptitude: Topics
- Comprehensive English Grammar.
- Completing the sentences with the most appropriate words.
- Analogies based on verbs.
- Analyzing verbs and deducing the answers.
- Understanding patterns among word groups – synonyms and antonyms, dictionary definition of words.
- Answering paragraphs based on instructions provided.
- Reasoning type of questions including assumptions, inferences, strengthening and weakening the arguments.
numerical and reasoning: Topics
- Data interpretations.
- Data estimations.
- Percentage calculations
- Simple and compound interest calculations
- Profit and loss problems
- Ratio and proportions
- Linear and matrix algebra
- Time and work
- Calculating speed and distance.
- Problems on summation.
- Cost-profit analysis
- Problems on ages of different people
- Modulo problem
- Clock related problems.
- Problems based on directions
- Probability and tangents
- Base and radix problems.
Important Books for GATE
- The book complied by R.S. Agarwal – ‘ Quantitative Aptitude for competitive exams’.
- Another book by R.S. Agarwal on ‘ A modern approach to verbal and non-verbal reasoning’.
- ‘How to prepare for quantitative aptitude’ by Arun Sharma ( Mc-Graw Hill Education)
- Wren & Martin’s English Grammar book.
- ‘Reasoning and Aptitude 2015’ by Nem Singh of Made easy Publications.
- Objective Arithmetic by Dr.K.S.Aggarwal of S.Chand Publications
- The Pearson guide to Quantitative Aptitude for competitive examinations by Dinesh Khattar, Pearson Publications.
- Kiran’s text book of Quickest Mathematics.
- Trishna’s Quantitative Aptitude for competitive exam preparation, by Pearson Publications.
For recorded material, Visit online study material and test series for RBI Grade B page
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9988 708 161 for more information regarding RBI Grade B and Nabard course