- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeITY) has launched Stree Swabhiman Initiative.; Under which a semi-automatic and manual sanitary napkin manufacturing units will be set up at ICT enable Common Service Centres (CSCs) for producing affordable and eco-friendly sanitary napkins. These are operated by Woman.
- About CSC: CSCs are ICT enabled front end service delivery points at the village level for delivery of government and private services. They are a strategic cornerstone of the Digital India programme.
- India and Cambodia have signed four agreements on culture exchange, credit line, Assistance in criminal matters and prevention on human trafficking.
- Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP):
- Credit Line Agreement: between India’s EXIM Bank Government of Cambodia for Line of Credit (LoC) to finance Stung Sva Hab Water Resource Development Project for US$ 36.92 million
- Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters:
- MoU on Cooperation for Prevention of Human Trafficking:
- India and Lao PDR have signed civil aviation cooperation agreement for providing SkyRev360, a comprehensive e-data gathering, invoicing and collection system. SkyRev360 is fully automated and comprehensive data gathering invoicing and collection service system which is developed by Airport Authority of India (AAI) in collaboration with International Air Transport Association (IATA) under the Government’s Make in India initiative. It helps to eliminate inaccuracies errors and delays for better revenue management with less manual processing
- Gurcharan Singh Kalkat (92), agricultural scientist and pioneer of India’s Green Revolution, passed away in Chandigarh after a brief illness.
- Asha Bhosle (84) was chosen for fifth edition of Yash Chopra Memorial Award for her outstanding contribution
- World Leprosy Day is observed internationally every year on last Sunday of January month to raise global awareness of Leprosy. This year it was on 28 Jan. Leprosy (also known as Hansen’s disease)
- Kolkata became first metro city in India to get floating market. A lake has been transformed into the floating market similar to the one in Thailand.
- Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojna (MGSVY) is launched by Punjab Government. It will be on the line of Antyodaya principles (Antyodaya’ means rise of the last person) and will be implemented in the state’s rural areas. Objective: to identify poor and distressed households which have been deprived of the benefits of the various welfare schemes launched by state government and to help them.
- India has announced to host informal Ministerial meeting of World Trade Organisation (WTO) in March 2018 in New Delhi.
About 40 WTO members from both rich and developing nations have been invited.
- Small finance banks and payment banks are allowed to offer Atal Pension Yojana (APY)
- About APY: Introduced in June 1, 2015 with an aim to provide affordable universal access to essential social security protection to unorganized work force of country.
- Replaced earlier Swavalamban scheme.
- India-Japan Smart Grid Pilot Project was inaugurated Panipat, Haryana to solve the various complications faced by the power distribution sector. This project is under Union Ministry of Power who has launched fourteen smart grid pilot projects to modernize power distribution networks in India. MoU between Japan’s New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) and Haryana Government in December 2015.
- Indian-origin boy Mehul Garg (10) in United Kingdom became youngest applicant in decade to achieve highest score in Mensa IQ test, beating geniuses like Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking. (2 points higher score than that of Einstein and Hawking).
- Rotavac became first indigenously developed vaccine from India to be pre-qualified by World Health Organisation (WHO).
It is to protect against childhood diarrhoea caused by the rotavirus. Conceived and developed by the Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech Limited, under public-private partnership (PPP) model that involved Ministry of Science and Technology, institutions of the US Government and NGOs in India supported by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- World Economic Forum (WEF) has launched autonomous Global Centre for Cybersecurity in a bid to safeguard world from hackers and growing data breaches
- Prime Minister’s Shram Awards for the year 2016 to be awarded to 50 workers including 3 women employed in Departmental Undertakings & Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) of Central/ State Governments and Private Sector Units employing 500 or more workers. Award Type: Shram Ratna Award, Shram Bhushan, Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana Award, Shram Shree/Shram Devi Award. These awards are announced every year by Ministry of Labour and Employment
- President Ram Nath Kovind has announced names of recipients of year 2018 Padma awards viz. Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. Padma Awards: the country’s highest civilian awards; 2018 list includes 3 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan and 73 Padma Shri Awardees. Ashoka Chakra It is India’s highest peacetime military decoration
- MoU between the Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways and IL&FS Transportation Networks Ltd for construction of the 14.150 km long, 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir. India’s longest road tunnel and longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia. will provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh.
- ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit was held in New Delhi to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of sectoral dialogue between two sides under the theme of “Shared Values, Common Destiny”. Key Highlights of Delhi Declaration: Strengthening relations, Terrorism, Transnational crimes, Political and Security Cooperation, Peaceful exploitation of outer space, Promotion of stable and sustainable growth for MSMEs, Technology transfer, Maritime cooperation, Physical and digital connectivity
- Chinese scientists for first time have successfully cloned two identical long-tailed macaques (monkeys), named Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua using same technique that produced Dolly sheep two decades ago which was called as somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT), which involves transferring the nucleus of cell, which includes its DNA, into egg whose nucleus is removed.
- India and Vietnam have signed two Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) to enhance cooperation in field of information and broadcasting and space cooperation
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has launched Management Information System (MIS) portal for Anganwadi Services Training Programme
- The Union Ministry of Civil Aviation has awarded 325 air routes under the second phase of government’s flagship UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam naagrik) regional connectivity scheme. Around 40% or 129 of 325 air routes were awarded to newly created category of ‘priority areas’ that include Jammu and Kashmir, Northeastern and hill states, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands,
- The Ministry of Science & Technology has announced four new schemes to promote young scientists and researchers in the country: Teacher Associateship for Research Excellence (TARE) Scheme, Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship, Distinguished Investigator Award (DIA) and AWSAR (Augmenting Writing Skills for Articulating Research).
- India has been ranked 177 among 180 countries in the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) – 2018: index has been developed by Yale University and Columbia University in collaboration with the World Economic Forum and the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palanichamy received UNESCO Award of Merit awarded to the iconic Srirangam Ranganathaswamy temple in Tiruchirapalli.
- Usha Ananthasubramanian, MD & CEO, Allahabad Bank, has been elected as the first woman Chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- The closing ceremony of Jammu & Kashmir Student Exchange programme ‘Maitreyi Yatra’ was held at National Bal Bhawan.
- India is ranked second only to South Africa as the cheapest country to live or retire, according to a recent survey of 112 countries.
- The Hindi Word of the Year for 2017 is ‘AADHAAR’ as announced by Oxford Dictionaries at the Jaipur Literature Festival. ‘Aadhaar’ also becomes the first Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year. The accompanying shortlisted words include Notebandi, Swachh, Vikaas, Yoga and
- Marking the 69th Republic Day celebrations, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) have launched the first ever ‘Khadi Haat’ in the country.
- Sandeep Lamichhane became the first cricketer from Nepal to land a deal an IPL contract when he was picked by Delhi Daredevils in the ongoing players auction.
- Leander Paes won his 25th ATP Challenger level doubles title with partner James Cerretani after beating Denis Kudla and Treat Huey in the final of the Newport Beach event
- Roger Federer won his sixth Australian Open and 20th Grand Slam title with a five-set victory over Marin Cilic.
Current Affairs Quiz
Q1: In a bid to safeguard the world from hackers and growing data breaches, which of the following organization launched Global Centre for Cybersecurity?
- World Bank
- International Monetary Fund
- International labour organization
- World Economic Forum
Q2: What is the rank of India in Global Talent Competitiveness Index which is released by World Economic Forum (WEF)?
- None of these
Q3: Usha Ananthasubramanian has been elected as the first woman Chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA). She is a MD & CEO of which of the following bank?
- Punjab National Bank
- AXIS Bank
- State Bank of India
- Allahabad Bank
- Canara Bank
Q4: Who among the following received the UNESCO Award of Merit?
- O Paneerselvam
- N Chandrababu Naidu
- Edappady K. Palaniswami
- Nitish Kumar
- Devendra Fadanvis
Q5: Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu is in which of the following state?
- Tamil Nadu
Q6:According to a biennial report by Yale and Columbia Universities along with the World Economic Forum, What is the rank of India in Environmental Performance Index 2018?
Q8: Which of the following state’s student Exchange programme ‘Maitreyi Yatra’ was held?
- Jammu & Kashmir
Q9: In which year, India- ASEAN Dialogue partnership was started?
Q10: Consider the following statements:- (1.) An MoU was signed between National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDCL) for construction of the 14.150 km long, 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir. (2.) This would be India’s longest road tunnel and the longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia. (3). The construction of this tunnel will provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh and will bring about all round economic and socio-cultural integration of these regions. Which of the above statement/statements is/are correct?
- Only 1 & 2
- 1, 2 & 3
- Only 1 & 3
- Only 2 & 3
- Only 2
Q11: Which of the following city became first Indian metro to get a floating market?
- New Delhi
Q12: Consider the following statements:- (1.) To strengthen the existing channels of APY distribution, New Payments Banks and Small Finance Banks will provide a boost to the outreach of subscribers under APY. (2.) Participation in APY not only builds a pensioned society but also adds sustainable fee income to Banks by way of attractive incentive for mobilizing APY @ Rs 150-200 for each Account. (3.) Atal Pension Yojana (APY) is a Government of India’s Old Age Pension Scheme being implemented through all Banks across the country. Which of the above statement/statements is/are correct?
- Only 1 & 2
- 1, 2 & 3
- Only 1 & 3
- Only 2 & 3
- None of these
Q13: On which date, The Prime Minister Modi had launched the Social Security Scheme Atal Pension Yojana (APY)?
- 14 April, 2015
- 06 January, 2015
- 09 may, 2015
- 25 December, 2014
- 14 April, 2016
Q14: How many countries are member states of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)?
Q15: According to survey by GoBankingRates, which of the following country is ranked first as the cheapest country to live or retire?
- South Africa
- Hong Kong
Which of the following word becomes the first Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year?
Q16: In which city, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) have launched the first ever ‘Khadi Haat’ in the country?
- New Delhi
Q17: Who among the following won Australian Open in Men’s single?
- Roger Federer
- Novak Djokovic
- Rafael Nadal
- Andy Murray
- None of the above
Q18: Who among the following became the first cricketer from Nepal to land a deal an IPL contract?
- Paras khadka
- Gyanendra Malla
- Basanta Regmi
- Anil Mandal
- Sandeep Lamichhane